Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Lesson 2 - Chikan embroidery sal


Hi !
Today let’s learn stem stitch and chain stitch. I’m sure many of you know how to work these stitches. But there are few beginners too. So I’m posting some how-to images for them.
If you know these stitches then go ahead and finish the line which is marked as  'F'  with stem stitch and ‘E’ with chain stitch (refer stitch guide).


STEM STITCH

If you are a beginner, to practice this stitch trace design ‘2’ from the practice designs onto your doodle cloth, follow the instructions given below and stitch.



                                                   
Step 1 - Bring the needle and thread up at ‘a’.   
                                            
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Step 2 - Keeping the thread below the line, go back down at ‘b’ and come up at ‘c’ as shown in the image above.                                                                                                                                       
    
        
Step 3 - Pull the needle and thread.                                                                                                                                                                    

                                                                                                                                                            
Step 4  - Keeping the thread below the line, go back down at ‘d’ and come up at ‘b’ as shown.               
                                          
                                            
 Step 5 - Pull the needle and thread    
                                                          
                                                         
                                                                                                                            
  Continue in this manner till you complete the line and finish it as shown above.                                                                                                                                                       

CHAIN STITCH

If you are a beginner, to practice this stitch trace design ‘1’ from the practice designs onto your doodle cloth, follow the instruction below and stitch.


                                                  
 Step 1 - Bring the needle and thread up at ‘a’

   

Step 2 - Go back down again at ‘a’ and come up at ‘b’, don’t pull the needle. Notice that the needle is on the right 

                                                                                                                                                                
Step 3  - Take the thread from left to right and keep the thread under the needle as shown. 

                                                           
Step 4 - Pull the needle and thread.

                                          
Step 5- Go back down at ‘b’ which is inside the loop of the 1st chain and come up at ‘c’. Notice that the needle is again on the right side of the thread at ‘b’.


                                          
Step 6 - Take the thread from left to right and keep the thread under the needle. 

                                          
Step 7– Pull the needle and thread.


                                             
Step 8 – Go back down at ‘c’ which is inside the loop and come up at ‘d’. Take the thread from left to right and keep it under the needle .Pull the needle and thread.




                                            
Continue in this manner and complete the design. To end this stitch just go back down outside the last chain made.
NOTE: If you are not comfortable with keeping the thread to your left in chain stitch,then change it to right in all the steps.

Today's lesson is easy,isn't it?.If you've not finished lesson 1 yet,then you have this week too...
Let me know if this lesson is clear.If it's not then please let me know where to add more info.
Happy stitching!
Anita.

15 comments:

nancie said...

Hi Anita,,

your lessons are easy to follow...easy to understand...thanks for the effort u r taking...

i completed both 1st and 2nd lessons. pls do have a look when u have time..i posted it on my blog..

waiting for ur feedback..
thanks nancie

Suztats said...

Thanks Anita. I think your lesson is very clear.
I'm almost finished lesson 1, but I was delayed as I experimented with different fabric and some threads. I think my muslin fabric is too closely woven to best show the effects of Chikan embroidery, but I'll be using it until I find something that works better.

MosaicMagpie said...

Hi Anita,
I am stitching away and yes, the lessons are very clearly written and easy to follow. I am like Suz and concerned my fabric may not be showing the shadow of the double backstitch. I will post some photos later today so you can advise me, when you get a chance.
Thanks,
Deb

Thelma said...

Hello Anita,
I am working on lesson 1 and your instructions are very clear. Thank you so much for doing this with us.
I have to admit, this is the first time I have used the double back stitch and I am amazed at how the back comes out as the closed herringbone. I thought that was neat. I love this stitch. I am hoping my fabric isn't too dark. I can see some, and I traced my fabric without having to use the window or a light box, so I am hoping it is ok.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I've posted my images with lesson 2completed on my blog. Here is my link:

http://ceoriginals.blogspot.com/2012/03/chikan-embroidery-lesson-2.html

Diane said...

Hi Anita

I'm really enjoying your instructions, you have made everything so clear. Just one question: My chain stitch seems to be too bulky, can I use one strand?

Anita said...

Diane- leave the chain stitch until you fill the tiny drop inside this chain stitch.Then let's decide about the strands.O.k? .

RajiSaj said...

Dear Anita,
Plz hav a look at my second lesson works http://threadwithme.blogspot.in/2012/03/chikan-embroidery-sallesson-2.html
raji.

Cathy said...

Thank you for your lessons. I didn't think I was going to be able to stitch something with such tiny stitches since my eyes are bad but I did manage and it wasn't as difficult as I thought. It got easier as I went along. Your lessons are very easy to follow and I've enjoyed them so far.

http://saneandcrazy.blogspot.com/2012/03/chikan-embroidery.html

Ashley K. said...

Great instructions!

Thelma said...

I finished lesson 2 today and have posted pics on my blog. Anita , I ask that you critique it please. Thanks and looking forward to the next lesson.

Thelma said...

Sorry about that , forgot to leave my blog addy for you to be able to see it.
http://thelmassewnthings.blogspot.com/

crazyQstitcher said...

I have posted my work to my blog at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyqstitcher/

I intend practising more Double Back stitch.

Thank you Anita for a good tutorial.

kiran seth said...

hello anita
started late...was out of town.....
enjoying the project....
and catching up.....
will send you the pic after completed....am embroidering on
a cotton guest towel hemmed and everything...for this
appreciate and thank you for your great effort and time...

thank you
kiran seth

Raphaela said...

I finished lesson 2. These tiny stitches were really challenging.
http://textileexplorations.blogspot.de/2012/03/lesson-2-finished.html